Your Trusted Family Law Resource

Fleeing Texas child support obligation not a good idea

On Behalf of | Mar 30, 2017 | Child Support |

When it comes to supporting a child, the financial, emotional and time investment is a commitment that is not to be taken lightly. Regardless of the parents’ desire to be together as a couple, the commitment to the child remains in place. When a Texas parent chooses to or cannot afford to pay child support and the court is not petitioned to modify the obligation to an affordable amount, enforcement actions are available.

A 46-year-old-male tried to flee the courthouse after a judge ruled that he be taken into custody for nonpayment of child support. The man left the courtroom and headed downstairs. Deputies were able to apprehend him with the use of a stun gun before he exited the south end of the courthouse.

Regardless of the man’s stance on providing the financial support to the child, the court order in place must be obeyed. If the man was unable to financially support the child due to lack of employment, the courts will typically entertain a petition for modification. If a parent chooses not to make payments and is able to, the courts will consider requests for relief from the parent who is asking for the court order in place to be carried out.

A Texas parent who has custody of a child from a previous relationship can seek child support from the non-custodial parent. With the assistance of a knowledgeable family law attorney, a parent can seek through legal means financial support for the benefit of the child, from both parents. A lawyer can assess the client’s circumstances and suggest solutions and provide support throughout the entire legal process.

Source: CBS Austin, “Man tries to fleeTravis Co. courthouse, gets Tased by deputies”, March 24, 2017